2019-08-30

Potato degustation

A few years ago I went to my parents' home for autumn vacation. It was September and it was time to harvest potatoes. My parents have a kitchen garden with many different kinds of vegetables. They have three sorts of potatoes: "white", "pink"and "violet". Nobody has ever known the real names for these sorts. I decided to find in what ways they differed.
I picked a few of each kind and cooked them in different pots. "White" was dense. "Pink"was starchy and fluffy. I don't remember exactly if "violet"potatoes were any special. My favourite one was "pink". It is good to use for mashed potatoes.
It was an amazing experience that I have been recalling very often ever since.
So when I saw many kinds of potatoes with real names on a local market I thought we needed to taste at least some of them... 


So here it is :)
Eight kinds of Finnish potatoes:
1. Challenger
2. Siikli
3. Jussi
4. Annabelle
5. Sunita
6. Solist
7. Puikuka
8. Colomba

We cooked them during 30 min. Each one has its own flavour and taste.
Challenger and Colomba didn't have any differences. Puikula was too old and too dry. Solist, Annabelle and Sunita were dense; for salad. Sunita is our favourite: not too sweet as Solist. Siikli and Jussi are the best for mached potatoes. They are very starchy and even break when being boiled. Siikli has the most adorable flavour like butter.
IMHO.

So it was very interesting :)
And we had a lot of cooked potatoes to eat for the next few days.






Best wishes,
Katia

No comments:

Post a Comment